Sunday 11 March 2012

Love a Sloth Day!

I have decided that today shall be known henceforth as Love a Sloth Day!

Have been drawing these lovely creatures today whilst doing some character development and I think they are just brilliant to work with! Working on a story for this chap and trying to make some sense out of the bombardment of ideas that bounce about in my head. I always seem to think of something really exciting that I want to happen in a book but then comes the frustrating challenge of figuring out how to make it happen in a creative and engaging way.

For now, I am just really enjoying his character and hoping that he will appeal to others too. My head is buzzing also with how great this would be to colour but forcing myself to stick to rough monocrome scribblings for the moment!

I have to say that I have been feeling rather sloth-like recently which maybe why I keep coming back to wanting to draw sloths! With baby #2 due in a matter of weeks, this me trying to squeeze out every last bit of creativity and work (well, that's the same thing for me!) before I step away from the drawing board for a wee while.

Being a Mum is amazing but I do love my job and am always excited about the next book and what it might be! It's lovely too to be able to share what I do with my two year old, and always feel much better about myself when she can tell what one of my scribbles actually is! It is such a great feeling too when she goes to the book shelf and picks out one of Mummy's books to read...I don't even have to bribe her to do it anymore : )

3 comments:

  1. Ahhhh a sloth book, amazing! He looks lovely! Can't wait to see how you develop this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww I lovelove your style!!

    Just on a random note, Im doing an assignment about Edinburgh :P Would love to visit the city one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Holly! Thought I'd stop by and check out your blog - I'm loving the sloth! I did a Dick King-Smith reader once about sloths, and really enjoyed drawing them. You have such an expressive style, he looks so friendly. By the way, good luck with your imminent arrival..

    ReplyDelete